[j-nsp] Transfer some task from MX to VRR

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 10:27:23 EST 2014

On 12/1/14, 2:41 PM, "Robert Hass" <robhass at gmail.com> wrote:

>>I think vMX can forward data.
>
>vMX indeed will be full-featured router. But my questions was related to
>move part of control-plane (basically whole BGP part of rpd) to external
>server. Maybe OpenFlow somehow helps here ? How openflow take care of eBGP
>to customers ? Session should be on router or on OpenFlow controller ? OF
>v1.3 just has been implemented in JunOS 14.x releases for MX series.

Juniper as far as I know plans on maintaining two versions of the vMX at
least to start with.  The vRR version is similar to the one used for
things like lab testing and uses 1 VM with both the vRE and vPFE
integrated.  The vRR is not meant to be in the forwarding path just like
the vRR offerings from ALU and Cisco.  You would not really want to use it
to terminate eBGP sessions.

There is another higher speed forwarding version of the vMX which requires
using Intel 10GE NICs.  It doesn't really support high speed 1G since it
uses the Intel DPDK/SR-IOV specific to those 10G cards.  ALU has the same
exact thing with their VSR series.

Now that version of the vMX would be one which could terminate customer
circuits and EBGP sessions.  The perfect scenario for it is terminating
lower-speed Ethernet Internet customers since those usually don't require
much advanced processing like NAT, etc.

Long-term most of the vendors have plans to "externalize" the control
planes.  Juniper has experience with this since they have done it with the
TX-Matrix and the old EX8200 virtual chassis stuff previously.  I think
you will see all vendors headed this way though especially when it comes
to things like subscriber management/bras functionality.  No reason to
limit those things to a router RE anymore.

Phil