[j-nsp] Cooling Pads for Juniper SRX?

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Dec 2 00:21:57 EST 2014

On 12/1/14 8:26 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an issue with some Juniper SRX100's overheating.  I've seen them get
> hot before, especially placed on something similar (i.e. another SRX100)...
> and given warnings of overheating, but never shut down.... but this
> situation is different.
>
> These SRX100's are shutting down as they are reaching a core temperature of
> 70c as they are located in racks that are outside in the sun and on
> particularly hot days - around 32c-36c they overheat and turn themselves
> off.

It's a fanless enclosure, if it's in a pedestal or some kind on
enclosure, you could run it with the top off.

> Some might say this is understandable... and I sort of agree.  Although
> their operating system says they are good to 40c, that doesn't really seem
> to be the case.  The SRX110's are a little more tolerant given they are
> bigger units - but have the same operating environmentals (along with the
> EX2200-C).  But at the moment I have the SRX100's and would prefer not to
> swap them out as it will cost significantly.
>
> Then one of my staff had (what I think) a good idea today... to use cooling
> pads... maybe like the ones you use for laptops or something.

there exist a variety of rack or panel mount fans...

http://www.rackmountmart.com/html/fS.htm

there was a while where I'd recycle the fan trays from total-control
chassis to exhaust air out the tops of cabinets. but that was 15 years ago.