[j-nsp] MPC3E oversubscribe rate with two 10x10GE MICs

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Wed Dec 3 10:43:56 EST 2014

As was explained to me a while back, the MPC3E has ~120gbit of capacity.

But the devil was in how that capcity is shared between the two MIC slots.

When you have two active MICs that capacity is divided equally between the
two MICs: 50/50% or ~60/60gbps. It is NOT a case of operate one card at
full whack and only use a couple of ports on the other.

If you plan to put in a second 10x10 MIC then you'll have to shuffle your
circuits around to balance them across the two MICs too.

And if you need all wire speed ports then you need the 16x10G MPC3, and
only use 3 ports of each PIC.