[j-nsp] SRX High-end Packet mode

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Wed Dec 17 18:07:39 EST 2014

Hi Mahmoud,

On 18 Dec 2014, at 3:34 am, M Abdeljawad via juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> I have three questions about packet mode on high-end SRX firewalls
> - Is it supported on SRX high-end firewalls to switch the firewall to packet mode altogether using the below command which supported on branch firewalls;(set security forwarding-options family mpls mode packet-based)

Feature navigator seems to suggest they can support packet-based for IPv6 [1] (not MPLS) in 12.1X44, but the SRX Series Book (older) suggest packet-mode is branch-only [2].

> - Is it supported on SRX high-end firewalls to partially convert some traffic to packet mode (selective packet forwarding using filters)?

I don't believe so

> - Is it possible to operate MPLS on SRX high-end firewalls without enabling packet-mode?

No

Cheers,

Ben

[1] http://pathfinder.juniper.net/feature-explorer/
[2] https://books.google.com.au/books?id=2HSLsTJIgEQC&pg=PA163&lpg=PA163&dq=srx+packet-mode+mpls&source=bl&ots=_fxiZyPIyt&sig=tIuoDMgJWzpRyHCiIXyMKU-KNdo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tgqSVLDtIMv08QX9yIHACw&ved=0CCIQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=srx%20packet-mode%20mpls&f=false