[j-nsp] juniper qfx5100 vs ex9200

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 16:11:38 EST 2014

I think the 9200 actually has less QoS features and less buffers than the
MX cards, but it depends on which MX cards you have.   The EX9200
linecards are generally cheaper because it doesn't have the features or
FIB capacity the MX cards do.

It's exactly the same chassis/midplane/fabric with a slightly modified
chipset on the linecards, and the linecards are a different color.   The
MX does L2, VXLAN, OVSDB, OpenFlow, etc.   There is no reason they
couldn't have made the same linecards for the MX, but it requires more
software development to deal with interop versions between cards with
different resources.   It was kind of a mess with the DPC/MPC, maybe that
was reason enough to say you couldn't mix and match linecards.

Phil