[j-nsp] PoE for older Cisco IP Phones

Paulhamus, Jon jpaulhamus at IU17.ORG
Thu Feb 6 11:15:16 EST 2014

Just a note -

I know that on some Cisco phones using EX2200-12C switches we needed to use crossover cables to connect the phones.

That was in the release notes for the switches - at the time we were running 11.4R5.5

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Okui [mailto:pokui at psg.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 5:04 AM
To: Robert Hass
Cc: juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [j-nsp] PoE for older Cisco IP Phones

Hi Robert,

On  4-Feb-2014 01:41:35 (+0300), Robert Hass wrote:
> Patrick,
> I just connected 7912 and 7940 to EX4200. Works without issues. Tested
> few images. Got signal that EX3200 also do the job. But what about
> EX3300 and EX2200 (I don't have any of them for testing)

I stand corrected.

I didn't think it would work from past experience. In my case the POE switch I was testing (non Juniper) was a Type B (only).

In addition to the document Skeeve posted, I found an explanation of how cisco POE works and how you could make it work with switches like the one I tested.

<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Cisco+POE>

--
patrick