[j-nsp] Procedure for upgrade routing engines.

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Wed Jan 8 08:05:12 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 01:56:16PM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 01:27:57PM +0100, Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) wrote:
> > RE-S-1800 is running JunOS 64, so this will *not* work.
> >
> > Mixing routing engines isnt recommended/supported officially by juniper
> > either, but works to some degree (RE1300/RE2000 32bit).
>
> Without having GRES/NSR enabled, I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

BTW, just found that little remark at the end of
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/routing-engine-m-mx-t-series-specifications-by-model.html

"On routing platforms that accept two Routing Engines, you cannot mix
Routing Engine types except for a brief period (one minute or so) during
an upgrade or downgrade to two Routing Engines of the same type."

I have no idea what to make out of this fuzzy comment. "one minute or
so" is not a reasonable time frame for any upgrade action as this is not
enough time to boot it up, wait for it to settle, perform health checks,
switch over to it, let the dust settle down and replace the formely
active, old RE too.

Perhaps some JNPR folks can chime in with actual technical facts and
details?

Best regards,
Daniel