[j-nsp] LDP + RSVP & DSCP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 8 14:37:09 EST 2014

On Wednesday, January 08, 2014 06:12:44 PM Daniel Rohan
wrote:

> Would anyone running LDP + RSVP + QoS on their network
> mind contacting me on or off list to share their
> experiences? I'm contemplating a design that would
> involve using LDP for L3VPNs and RSVP for some minor
> traffic engineering + L2 services on a small (10 router)
> ring topology. The reason I'd like to use LDP is because
> one of the L3VPNs would have a presence on every single
> router on the ring and setting up a full RSVP mesh seems
> cumbersome, and the RSVP auto-mesh features seem poorly
> documented on Juniper's end. But my major concerns are
> with QoS; it would appear that RSVP lends itself to an
> IntServ set up, but to keep consistent with the way we
> run a few other networks, I'd like to keep a standard DS
> environment on this backbone. My concern is that I can't
> find resources that talk specifically on how to make
> RSVP DSCP aware short of setting up a DS-TE RDM/MAM
> environment, and I don't want to get into a situation
> where one signaling protocol isn't aware of the traffic
> on the links.

I would disassociate the inherent QoS designs of RSVP from
the QoS paradigm existing in routers today, and rather,
compliment them.

Use regular DSCP to mark/schedule your IP traffic as it
enters its VRF on your network. When it turns into MPLS for
forwarding on to other participating PE routers, use EXP to
mark/schedule that MPLS traffic throughout your core.

The DSCP attributes you'll have used at the point of ingress
will be re-used at the point of egress, provided you have a
consistent PHB across your backbone.

Mark.