[j-nsp] Resetting SFP+ Remotely

Crist Clark cjc+j-nsp at pumpky.net
Mon Jan 27 16:20:57 EST 2014

I have a problem with some SFP+ modules that are going down. It looks like
they just stop transmitting after hours or days up. I think it's just a
case of a batch bad hardware. All of the modules are from the same OEM and
have very close serial numbers. Other modules in the same EX-4500 chassis
work fine. We're replacing them as we come across problems.

However, the troubled switch and modules are at a remote site, and it takes
time to replace them. We found that removing and reseating the module in
the chassis will bring it back up again for a few hours or days. It buys us
some time to get to parts to the remote DC to do the work. We'd like a
bandaid procedure to mimic that from the CLI. We've tried setting the
interface to "disabled" in the configuration, commit, remove "disabled,"
and commit, but that doesn't bring it back. Similarly, we've tried doing a
"ifconfig down" from the shell, but that doesn't work either.

Is anyone aware of some JUNOS CLI or shell-foo on an EX-4500 chassis to
reset SFP+ modules just as if you actually removed the module from the
chassis and slid it back in?