[j-nsp] Could you pls clarify a bit about OAM for link fault management?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Jul 18 08:50:18 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 04:24:28PM +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Ben Dale wrote:
> >
> > Something like this should do the trick once you've configured it on both ends:
> >
> > set protocols oam ethernet link-fault-management action-profile UDLD event link-adjacency-loss
>
> I have come to the conclusion that
>
> "set protocols mstp interface ge-0/0/22.0 bpdu-timeout-action block"
>
> might do the trick as well if configured on all interfaces connected to
> the MUXes.

That would only work on the upstream interface facing the root bridge
where it is expected that it receive BPDUs.  The downstream interface
would be sending BPDUs in that case, and not expect to receive them.
If the topology dictates that one should never expect to receive BPDUs
on such a port (the port should never lead to a root bridge), I would
configure:

set protocols mstp interface <downstream> no-root-port

instead of the "bpdu-timeout-action block".

But either way, I don't think this can be used as a substitute for the
OAM configuration.