[j-nsp] Small P Router Recommendations

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Thu Jun 5 07:58:50 EDT 2014

On 05/06/14 13:30, Ben Dale wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2014, at 12:00 pm, Geoff Crawford <Geoff.Crawford at cwct.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys!
>>
>> I'm a Juniper fan too, but I'll take a non-Juniper answer today. Seems to be an MPLS heavily oriented list, so I figured you guys would know.
>>
>> I'm sure we'd all love an EX3200 take could run LDP, pack more than 1 label and do it over aggregated interfaces. Is anyone else making a box that can do that?
>
> If you're after a switch that'll do MPLS/L3VPN, check out the QFX5100.  All 10/40G though which might not be what you're after.

This.

If you're after a (true) P router and can handle a BGP-free core the
5100 should be good enough for most networks not big enough to justify a
PTX, at a fraction of the cost.

Sure there's not the redundancy of a PTX, but given that you can buy a
pair of 5100's at list and I'm fairly sure would still be cheaper than
the PTX.