[j-nsp] Question about inline flow sampling on MX 480 / Treo based interfaces

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Wed Jun 11 11:12:51 EDT 2014

Hi,
	I am configuring flow sampling for traffic analysis on several MX480 routers with Treo based cards.  Right now I have the sample rate set to 1:1000 and things are working / flow data is being generated.  My question is is there a rule of thumb or guideline to what sample rate is safe to use with out impacting forwarding performance?  I have read some 3rd party articles that indicate that 1:1 sampling is possible and that the sample rate won’t impact negatively performance when inline flow is used and have read others that indicate this is not the case and one has to carefully select a rate.  What’s the story on this and are there any pointers to methods of determining the best most granular rate possible?  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Scott