[j-nsp] Redundant RE setup useful?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jun 23 13:18:19 EDT 2014

On Monday, June 23, 2014 06:36:26 PM Tyler Christiansen
wrote:

> It also depends on your level of network resiliency.  If
> you have two separate devices where each device is fully
> capable of supporting all of the functionality alone,
> then dual REs don't make a lot of sense as you can just
> shut down one box.  We see this sort of thing when
> designing route reflectors or tiered reflectors.

Yes.

Route reflectors should be single control plane, fast!

> Also
> in core topologies where you can lose one (or more)
> routers and still be able to handle all of your capacity
> without degradation.

Indeed - makes sense if you have equal east-west links
coming out of both core routers, so that if the single
control plane in one of the core routers dies, you still
have traffic to the other end.

Of course, in reality, you may have only one link to a
destination, which means a dual control plane setup might be
better.

Mark.