[j-nsp] Redundant RE setup useful?

Tyler Christiansen tyler.christiansen at adap.tv
Mon Jun 23 12:36:26 EDT 2014

It also depends on your level of network resiliency.  If you have two
separate devices where each device is fully capable of supporting all of
the functionality alone, then dual REs don't make a lot of sense as you can
just shut down one box.  We see this sort of thing when designing route
reflectors or tiered reflectors.  Also in core topologies where you can
lose one (or more) routers and still be able to handle all of your capacity
without degradation.

For PE routers, though, dual RE can save your life.  And for P routers
where you just don't have enough boxes (or circuits!) to pick up the slack
if a few die.

Of course, if you can't design for failures centered around control plane
failures in a single RE box, then you need dual RE...so it might be best to
stick with dual RE to be safe anyway.

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Scott Granados <scott at granados-llc.net>
wrote:

> I have seen one of the RE modules fail and the backup saved our bacon.
>  There was a bad batch of SSD drive components that caused issues and the
> card to crash.  I’ve also seen an upgrade fail and the disk not format
> correctly rendering the card useless.  Again very remote possibility of
> happening to you but possible.
>
> On Jun 23, 2014, at 4:07 AM, Joerg Staedele <js at tnib.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > i am asking myself if it really makes sense to have a redundant RE setup
> in M and MX-series. Maybe some of you could tell me if they had a scenario
> where it really helped to prevent an outage.
> >
> > I am not talking about ISSU/NSSU feature where it is needed.
> >
> > We didn't have a failed RE since years so for now all our redundant
> setups seem not make any sense at all.
> >
> > What are your experiences?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joerg

*Tyler Christiansen | Technical Operations*
tyler <http://adap.tv/>@adap.tv <http://adap.tv/> | www.adap.tv
*m :* 864.346.4095