[j-nsp] mx240 - chassisd process takes whole cpu

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Tue Jun 24 06:51:50 EDT 2014

* Piotr <piotr.1234 at interia.pl> [2014-06-20 00:36]:
> Hi,
>
> Since 13:50 i have very high cpu on routing engine, router doesn't
> answer for some snmp request (re cpu, interface counters are ok) but
> besides this, looks good - router pass traffic. It looks like
> problem with chassisd process ( nanslp ?? state). I don't see any
> problems with syn flood, ntp attack or other dos. All graphs shows
> normal traffic. What can be a reason of that? maybe it can be some
> bug in 11.4R5.5 ?  I will plan restart entire router in next service
> window but maybe there is a other way to solve problem? i think
> about restart chassisd process only but i'm not sure about traffic
> impact ?

You could try to restart chassisd immediately (note the 'immediately'
keyword), which will kill and respawn the chassisd proccess at once.
This SHOULD be without traffic impact (did it a few times due to other
chassisd bug). But please remember that there is no guarantee that
this will be inpact-free. On the other hand 11.4R5 is pretty old so
you might be better off to upgrade to a new 11.4 release.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant