[j-nsp] router-jockeys and gui tools

Keegan Holley no.spam at comcast.net
Wed Mar 5 22:26:28 EST 2014

I agree.  I could even add a few.  A big one is control.  I had a supervisor once who now works for juniper ironically  say he didn’t like tools because he didn’t want to start forgetting the commands.  I asked if he was ok with all of engineering using prod routers as a practice ground.  He just shrugged...

It definitely depends on the work to be done though.  Repetitive tasks or large scale changes are easier and less prone to error when done by a computer of some sort. Upgrading JunOS on more than one router at a time.  deploying VRF’s, or LSP’s, modifying routing policies across a bunch of routers.

 I usually subscribe to the skepticism, but as with everything the devil is in the details.  Sometimes it’s annoying when engineers disparage a tool when it is clearly better for the task at hand.

Good post though,

Keegan