[j-nsp] router-jockeys and gui tools

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Thu Mar 6 04:57:26 EST 2014

* Phil Shafer <phil at juniper.net> [2014-03-05 19:36]:
> [hijacking part of a thread from Keegan]
>
> Keegan Holley writes:
> >My gut says this is as much a product of Space being new as the general skeptcisim most
> >router-jockeys have towards GUI/WebUI based management tools.
>
> As the on-box CLI developer, this has always been an area of interest
> to me.  My gut says the router-jockey/gui repulsion is powered by:
>
> a) completeness
> b) text/email friendly
> c) power tools
> d) trust
> e) inertia

f) speed

Most GUIs are so much slower than the CLI it's just no fun. (Anyone
tried Juniper NSM?)

You listed all the right reasons, trust being the most important for
me, tightly followed by the other points.

> In JUNOS, we've had our XML APIs for >13 years, and the tight binding
> between the CLI and the API ensure that feature parity is constant
> and consistent.  We're working to find ways to expand on this, and
> while I don't have anything to share yet, I'd love to hear back (on
> or off list) regarding the items listed above and any additional
> factors that keep you committed to the CLI with a loyalty that would
> do Charlton Heston proud.

I like NETCONF and the Juniper XML API but I build CLI tools on top of
that. ;)

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant