[j-nsp] router-jockeys and gui tools

Per Granath per.granath at gcc.com.cy
Thu Mar 6 09:22:06 EST 2014

I could add "syntax" as an important aspect. First of all as a way to learn and memorize ways of configuration - the CLI syntax is probably for most people an easier way to memorize than a GUI.
   Of course, we should all learn the concepts, generally in a vendor neutral language or syntax, but I do think that when the brain is trying to "short hand" that into something to remember, the CLI syntax is what sticks, and not dropdown boxes in a GUI.

So what is the advantage of the GUI?
   Assuming the GUI covers all the functionality of the CLI, then what you compare is essentially the way the GUI can guide you compared to how 'command completion' can guide you. Here the GUI should be able to advise you "across hierarchies" of the configuration, while command completion is usually local in the hierarchies (apart from 'commit check'). However, this intelligent advise is not always implemented.

A weakness of the GUI is that it relies on your browser functionality, or possibly java version, while the CLI just works.