[j-nsp] SRX Active/Passive cluster with redundant route based IPSec - connectivity to AWS VPC

Andy Litzinger andy.litzinger.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 5 18:23:13 EDT 2014

Hi All,
  Two related questions.  I have a pair of SRX 3400s in an Active/Passive
cluster.  They rely on an external gateway for internet access (i.e. my
ISPs don't terminate on the SRXs).  I am setting up redundant tunnels to an
AWS VPC.  Amazon has an example for J-Series (
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonVPC/latest/NetworkAdminGuide/Juniper.html),
but I don't think it's for a cluster set-up.

Here are my questions:

1 - If I want to set up a redundant secure tunnel interface (e.g. st0),
should i bind it to an reth interface?

2 - Has anyone connected an Active/Passive SRX cluster to an AWS VPC?  Any
tips or tricks you care to share?

regards,
 -andy