[j-nsp] Trio Bandwidth

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri May 30 17:27:11 EDT 2014

On (2014-05-30 11:54 -0700), joel jaeggli wrote:

> the bandwidth is symmetric... the forwarding lookup is only done on the
> ingress linecard.

(Memory) bandwidth is unidir, single Trio has maybe 70Gbps of memory bandwidth
(it depends on cell alignment, it can be 80Gbps and in artificial scenario
could be lot less than 70Gbps). So if your ingress is 40Gbps you have only
30Gbps of egress.
Lookup performance is about 50-55Mpps, linerate in MPC would require 60Mpps,
so bit shy of that. But again, would really only surface in artificial
scenario.
On MX80 and MX104 it might plausibly be issue in some esoteric but
non-artificial scenario, as you have more 10 ports than 4 on Trio.

> larger microcode size
>
> which impacts the availability of some relatively esoteric features...

No. E model has better oscillator for timing shizzle and double the DDR3
memory on LU chip, which is not going to affect anything as far as I know, as
it was upgraded to support now de-funct mobilenext product.

--
  ++ytti