[j-nsp] Trio Bandwidth

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Fri May 30 17:54:09 EDT 2014

I have the most familiarity with the 16x10GE cards which use 4 Trio chips,
but are similar to the other MPC2 cards.

Each of those Trio chips has 70G of bandwidth shared between the ingress
ports and the fabric like you mentioned.  Traffic going in/out of the same
PFE doesn't count against the 70Gbps, so you can creatively run them at
"line-rate."

There is also a small limitation with bandwidth from that generation Trio
to/from the fabric.  It's dependent on packet size but it's roughly
37Gbps.  You see this if you have 40G coming from the fabric headed
towards the 4 egress ports.

Phil