[j-nsp] EX4550 L2Circuit/VPN to MX80/lt Interface

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Nov 12 15:53:07 EST 2014

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 05:38:54 PM Eric Van Tol
wrote:

> ME3600X is wonderful, but very expensive once you get the
> full feature set.

Agree.

> We are waiting (rather impatiently at
> this point) for our first ASR920 to arrive to test out.
> This is supposed to be the replacement for the ME3400,
> but with MPLS.  It fits us nicer than the ME3600X, as
> the footprint is much smaller and there are various
> models for port density.

Interesting.

I'm speaking with the SPAG BU on this platform, to see where
it falls short of (or outperforms) the ME3600X/3800X.

> Odd - we tried to engage ALU and they said all their gear
> is layer-2 only.  They were supposed to come to our
> office for a meet-and-greet, but never came.  This is
> the second time we've tried to engage them with no
> success.  Guess they are not interested in our business.

ALU have some pretty good routers, actually. Their 7xxx
series routers and switches are up there with the best. In
fact, I find their subscriber management solutions to be
quite interesting compared to Cisco and Juniper.

I did some testing at their lab in Antwerp a few months ago,
and was mighty impressed with some of the work they've done
in mobile to wi-fi hand-off. Very good boxes and solutions,
to be honest.

It's just that in the metro, they still don't have anything
close to the ME3600X (or ASR920).

> Agreed.  ACX is just not there.  It baffles me why
> Juniper has left this market untapped.  The mid-range MX
> is just too expensive and too big for our deployments
> and the lack of LSR functionality in the EX won't work
> for us.

Back when the MX80 was launching (c. 2009), I was speaking
to the Juniper folk heading the project, and they promised a
1U MX80 with 20x or 40x Gig-E ports, and 2x or 4x 10Gbps
uplinks, with all MX software features.

How I still wish for such a box.

Mark.