[j-nsp] ACX is just not there (was Re: EX4550 L2Circuit/VPN to MX80/lt Interface)

Daniel Verlouw daniel at shunoshu.net
Thu Nov 13 13:15:10 EST 2014

Hi,

> For starters, at least when we evaluated it last year, there was no switching or IRB support.

there is now, bridge-domains + IRB with L3VPN is what we use without a problem.

We have a few hundred ACX deployed for our mobile backhaul and will
ramp up that number over the next few months. It does have its quirks
related to Broadcom ASIC limitations (indeed CoS is one thing,
firewall filters another), but overall, for mobile, it's a nice
platform at a low cost point. I could see the ACX work for our L2
metro business as well from a functionality point of view, but there
the port density kills it. I echo the sentiment of others, Juniper
really dropped the ball here. The gap between ACX and MX is simply far
too large.

What are others using for let's say MPLS + 12x 1GE + 4x 10GE ?
- 7210 SAS-M
- 3600X 24CX
- higher density ASR920 will be around I understand?
- any others to consider presently?

BR, Daniel.