[j-nsp] MX issue

Huan Pham drie.huanpham at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 03:29:27 EDT 2014

You can customise the DDOS protection config. In example below, I set the
policing rates quite low, so I can simulate the DDOS and observe the
policing in action.

Simulating the DDOS by

ping <myself> rapid 10000, or
telnet <myself> and then issue            show config | no-more, which
generate quite a lot of packets.

admin at MX5> show configuration system ddos-protection
protocols {
    icmp {
        aggregate {
            bandwidth 10;
        }
    }
    telnet {
        aggregate {
            bandwidth 50;
        }
    }
}

admin at MX5> show log messages | match DDOS
Oct 18 15:17:05  MX5 jddosd[1342]: DDOS_PROTOCOL_VIOLATION_SET: Protocol
ICMP:aggregate is violated at fpc 0 for 1 times, started at 2014-10-18
15:17:04 WST, last seen at 2014-10-18 15:17:04 WST
Oct 18 15:17:25  MX5 jddosd[1342]: DDOS_PROTOCOL_VIOLATION_SET: Protocol
Telnet:aggregate is violated at fpc 0 for 1 times, started at 2014-10-18
15:17:24 WST, last seen at 2014-10-18 15:17:24 WST

admin at MX5> show ddos-protection statistics
DDOS protection global statistics:
  Currently violated packet types:    2
  Packet types have seen violations:  2
  Total violation counts:             2

admin at MX5> show ddos-protection protocols statistics
## output obmitted ##

admin at MX5> show ddos-protection protocols icmp statistics
Protocol Group: ICMP

  Packet type: aggregate
    System-wide information:
      Aggregate bandwidth is being violated!
        No. of FPCs currently receiving excess traffic: 1
        No. of FPCs that have received excess traffic:  1
        Violation first detected at: 2014-10-18 15:17:04 WST
        Violation last seen at:      2014-10-18 15:17:09 WST
        Duration of violation: 00:00:05 Number of violations: 1
      Dropped:   11                  Max arrival rate: 3526 pps
        Dropped by individual policers: 0
        Dropped by aggregate policer: 11

admin at MX5> show ddos-protection protocols telnet statistics
Protocol Group: Telnet

  Packet type: aggregate
    System-wide information:
      Aggregate bandwidth is being violated!
        No. of FPCs currently receiving excess traffic: 1
        No. of FPCs that have received excess traffic:  1
        Violation first detected at: 2014-10-18 15:17:24 WST
        Violation last seen at:      2014-10-18 15:18:39 WST
        Duration of violation: 00:01:15 Number of violations: 1
      Dropped:   16                  Max arrival rate: 35 pps
        Dropped by individual policers: 0
        Dropped by aggregate policer: 16