[j-nsp] About RD in vpls multi-homing environment.

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Tue Apr 14 03:51:01 EDT 2015

Hi Nat,

You should always want to use unique RDs (possibly type-2 RD using router-id IP address) in any MPLS services when RRs are involved.
RD as the name suggests makes the route (or any information carried) distinguishable/unique thus not subject for BGP best path selection.
As you know BGP only advertises best-paths to its neighbours so if two sites advertise the same information to the RR -RR will select only one and advertise it to the rest of the AS -unless you make the otherwise same information unique by prepending it with a unique RD.
AS you might rightly infer using unique RDs will increase the amount of information flooded to the PEs but the advantage, as Sebastian pointed out, is that PEs will have a backup route at hand and thus can use techniques to fast failover to the backup path if the primary path is down.

adam