[j-nsp] About RD in vpls multi-homing environment.

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Mon Apr 13 03:37:21 EDT 2015

* Pyxis LX <pyxislx at gmail.com> [2015-04-11 20:21]:
> And I found another configuration example on Juniper website:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos14.2/topics/topic-map/vpls-bgp-multihoming.html
>
> This example suggests that PE1 and PE2 should use different RDs.

That link already says it:

Best Practice: We recommend that you configure unique route
distinguishers for each multihomed PE router. Configuring unique route
distinguishers helps with faster convergence when the connection to a
primary multihomed PE router goes down. If you configure unique route
distinguishers, the other PE routers in the VPLS network must maintain
additional state for the multihomed PE routers.

I would always use unique RDs, we do it and have no problems with it.
Otherwise you would have to wait vor BGP reconvergence which could
take some time.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant