[j-nsp] DHCPv6 routing instance to reach server, or fooling flow sessions with firewall filters

Mike Williams mike.williams at comodo.com
Tue Apr 21 09:22:43 EDT 2015

Hey all,

Got a problem here I'm hoping someone can help with.

Client -> M-series (relay) -> (VLAN 2920) J-series (VLAN 100) -> Server
Server -> (VLAN 100) J-series (VLAN 2980) ....

inet6.0 on the M knows to reach the DHCPv6 server via VLAN 2920, the J-series
dutifully forwards the packets to the server and receives the response.
However, as the relayed request comes from the IP on the Client side of the M,
the J-series wants to route the answer via VLAN 2980 (because it has a /56
route that way for all the client networks).

If I add a /128 static route to the M via 2920 DHCPv6 works as expected.
That's not going to scale for even half a dozen networks, let alone 10s or
more.

The M has a routing instance (type forwarding) that would use VLAN 2980 to
reach the Server, but I haven't found a knob to make the dhcp-relay use a
routing instance to reach the server.

I've tried making a routing instance on the J-series (type virtual-router)
with a default route via VLAN 2920, and using a firewall filter to put DHCPv6
packets into it.
term dhcpv6 {
    from {
        source-address {
            ::/0;
        }
        next-header udp;
        source-port [ 547 546 ];
    }
    then {
        count stateless-dhcpv6;
        log;
        routing-instance stateless;
    }
}
Seems the flow lookup doesn't respect that.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

--
Mike Williams