[j-nsp] Thoughts on MX80 v MX104 RE performance

Sebastian Wiesinger juniper-nsp at ml.karotte.org
Wed Apr 22 10:14:51 EDT 2015

* Mike Williams <mike.williams at comodo.com> [2015-04-20 16:42]:
> Hey all,
>
> There was a discussion May last year about the MX104 and BGP performance.
> With the take away being that the MX104 RE is still pretty weak, at least
> compared to the modern x86 REs fitted to some of the "bigger" models.
> The RE-B-1800x1 in an M7i is certainly night and day faster than an MX80!

I think that we will see an Intel CPU based RE on MX104 in the future.
It just doesn't make sense to have one PPC platform for which custom
code must be written. The MX80 will probably go EOL in that case.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant