[j-nsp] MS-MIC-16G Licenses

Stepan Kucherenko twh at megagroup.ru
Wed Apr 29 09:49:24 EDT 2015

We've bought JSAM licenses but it looks like they aren't enforced
(yet?). I didn't even install them. Although I have to say its usage is
low right now so I don't know if it will hold true later.

Default MX5 licenses are subscriber/l2tp/mobile ip and those probably
are enforced.

As for what is better...it's hard to say. I know a fixed ISP doing CGN
on MX480 with MS-MPC and it works okay, they definitely are happy to
finally throw away their Linux NAT boxes.

I also know a mobile ISP doing CGN for mobile customers on SRX because
it happened to be cheaper for them. Don't know which SRX model though.

So apparently both approaches work. Although personally I'd prefer
SRXes, if only because I've spent too much time debugging the
MX80/MS-MIC combination.

SRX1400 or SRX3400 would probably be the closest to MS-MIC16 but again
it's hard to say because the only number I saw on MS-MIC is "up to 9Gbps
of service throughput". Not very informative, especially compared to
detailed SRX datasheets.