[j-nsp] l2circuit between ASR9k and MX80

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Aug 10 06:38:55 EDT 2015

On (2015-08-10 12:29 +0200), Marcin Kurek wrote:

Heu Marcin,

> > Quote from cisco docs:
> > "In order to address this possibility, the EVC platforms insert a
> dummy VLAN
> > tag 0 on top of the frame for type 4 PWs"
>
> I did a packet capture on one of the core links and it clearly shows that
> above isn't true.
> When setting VC Type 4 (VLAN mode) between ASR9k w/ Typhoon LC and MX80 the
> tag is stripped (rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric) and then it is pushed
> again, so the packet is traversing the core with tag 3101.

ACK. Only reason why I knew it had to happen like this, was because you told
it works, and as JNPR isn't doing anything to the tags, this was only
possibility.
I wouldn't trust this to be consistent against different versions and
platforms, that it is guaranteed to have 3101. So please add output-vlan-map swap
on JunOS, so that if behaviour changes, your connection continues to work.

> Also I tested this configuration:
>
> >> ----A----
> >> interface GigabitEthernet0/1/0/19.100 l2transport
> >> encapsulation dot1q 100
> >>

> >> ----B----
> >> interface GigabitEthernet0/1/0/19.200 l2transport
> >> encapsulation dot1q 200
> >> rewrite ingress tag translate 1-to-1 dot1q 100 symmetric
>
> >This  looks problematic, not sure if it even works, but if it does, B needs to
> >know  A side config when provisioning, this type of dependency should be
> >avoided  when possible.
>
> And it seems to be working, although I understand your point.
>
> Thanks for your input, you helped me a lot.

Np. Out of curiosity, what is the final config you ended up going forward?

--
  ++ytti