[j-nsp] Breaking an EX cluster?

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Mon Aug 17 14:19:25 EDT 2015

So let me  be a bit more clear.

I have an existing lab chassis.  It’s just something we use to test on etc.  We received 2 more decommissioned 4300 members from the field to add to the stack.  Right now it’s a stack of 2 and I’d like to make this 4.  The existing 2 member chassis boots fine, all the VCP ports show adjacency and all is good in the hood.:)
When I take the 3rd member whether I zeroize the new member to join it restarts but a link is never formed with the VCP ports.  I’m using the built in 40G ports and juniper cables that I obtained from Juniper for the back plain wiring on the stack.  No matter what I try I can’t get physical link between the two existing member chassis and one of my proposed repurposed members or member 3 in this case.  (line card roll)

I’m leaning towards hardware problem because I can’t get link no matter what I attach to the new switches VCP port but the two in the original functional chassis form adjacencies on all 4 cables.  So it’s adding the new to an existing that’s the problem.  Could be process and a very real possibility it’s the guy behind the keyboard writing this that’s the problem but not getting physical link was pointing me at hardware problems.  I just wanted to make sure I cleaned out the previous configs from the proposed new member well enough to not cause it to fail to join.

Does that make a bit more sense?

Thanks for you and everyone else responses as well. It’s very much appreciated.

Scott