[j-nsp] MX240 MX480 and MX960 Power Consumption

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Fri Aug 21 09:37:45 EDT 2015

They have a guide to calculating power requirements for these two routers:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/calculating-power-requirements-mx480.html

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/calculating-power-requirements-mx960.html

Roughly:

An otherwise empty MX480 is:

Base system: 40W
Fans: 160W
Two SCBs with two REs: 550W
Total: 750W

An otherwise empty MX960 is:

Base system: 50W
Fans: 640W
Two SCBs with two REs: 550W
Third SCB with no RE: 185W
Total: 1425W

If you fully load both systems with MPCs, the power overhead per slot is lower on the MX960. If you’re never going to have more than 6 MPCs, the MX480 is going to be more power efficient.