[j-nsp] MX240 MX480 and MX960 Power Consumption

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Aug 21 14:30:48 EDT 2015

The fans are variable speed too.  So if your env isn't pushing (cards
aren't heating up) the actual load from the fans will be a lot lower
on the MX960.

An idle unpopulated MX960 (3xSCB, 2xRE, no line cards) uses about
900W.  I'd still budget it at the 1425/1500W number though for a base
chassis.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Jerry Jones <jjones at danrj.com> wrote:
> Components in the MX240/480 are all identical. The 480 just has physically larger chassis and 2 more power supplies.
>
> If these are in a controlled environment and do not require NEBS, ie temp will NOT exceed 40c, then use a recent version of code and use the new power knobs to get the most power savings. Using cards like the NG MPC can really save power
>

> On Aug 21, 2015, at 8:28 AM, Colton Conor <colton.conor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We are evaluating the three Juniper platforms, and trying to understand the
> power consumption differences between the 3. Space is not really an issue,
> but overall power consumption is.
>
> So if all three have the following cards in the, how much difference will
> there be in power consumption between the three chassis? I assume the only
> differences will the the fan trays, and that the MX960 supports a 3rd SCB
> that will more than likely be populated?
>
> Does Juniper have an excel worksheet?

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler