[j-nsp] QFX5200 and other software than JunOS

Luca Salvatore luca at digitalocean.com
Mon Dec 7 13:28:26 EST 2015

Juniper announced a while back (at their NXTWORK conference ) that the
QFX5200 would be open.  Best to reach out to your account rep to see
exactly what the details are.
The QFX5200 isn't shipping just yet, i believe it the 32 port one will be
Q1 2016 and the 64 port will be Q2

We use lots of the QFX5100-24Q and they have been solid.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Raphael Mazelier <raph at futomaki.net> wrote:

> Nope you couldn't install Cumulus or other "Open" network os on QFX5200.
> Switch need to support ONIE (Open Network Install Environment) to allow
> the installation of such network oses.
> Afaik Juniper OCX1100-48SX is the only switch that support onie. It was
> pretty much the same hardware as the QFX5100.
>
> --
> Raphael Mazelier
>

> Le 05/12/15 12:02, Robert Hass a écrit :
>
> Hi
>> I'm thinking about new QFX5200 and idea of software-less box (whitebox).
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong - can I buy QFX5200 without software and
>> install Cumulus Linux on it as 3rd party software ? (I'm doing this right
>> now on Dell switches for one project)
>>
>> Rob

Luca Salvatore
Network Engineering Manager | DigitalOcean
Phone: +1 (929) 214-7242