[j-nsp] SNMP NMS support of Junos VLAN MIBs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 10:26:24 EST 2015

On 11/12/15 15:11, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> I never ran into this, but it's not too surprising - I had unending
> problems with poor Q-BRIDGE-MIB.  We used at least Junos, Procurve, and
> a few flavors of IOS 12.  Only HP had a Q-BRIDGE-MIB that was correct
> enough to use - and if you poked it wrong, the switch would crash.

Likewise, I've seen problems with the Q-BRIDGE on Extreme and Cisco.
I've always ended up using some vendor-specific method (except for the
pre-Huawei 3Com kit, which had excellent SNMP support in full standards
compliance AFAICT).

> On Junos, I got sick of all this and switched to netconf.

+1 (though Junoscript, in my case)

ssh admin at switch 'show ethernet-switching table | display xml'

...is always the poor-mans version ;o)

SNMP was an impressive effort for its time, and it could have been
great, but it's getting less and less usable as vendors pay less and
less attention to it. I've seen a number of devices from a number of
vendors get *worse* SNMP support over the last couple of years /
software releases.

In addition for something like the P/Q bridge FDB, the requirement for
the table to be sorted by OID can often be a substantial CPU impact, as
naive implementations sort the table on every getnext.