[j-nsp] SNMP NMS support of Junos VLAN MIBs

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Dec 11 12:16:11 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 03:26:24PM +0000, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 11/12/15 15:11, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
>
> >I never ran into this, but it's not too surprising - I had unending
> >problems with poor Q-BRIDGE-MIB.  We used at least Junos, Procurve, and
> >a few flavors of IOS 12.  Only HP had a Q-BRIDGE-MIB that was correct
> >enough to use - and if you poked it wrong, the switch would crash.
>
> Likewise, I've seen problems with the Q-BRIDGE on Extreme and Cisco.
> I've always ended up using some vendor-specific method (except for
> the pre-Huawei 3Com kit, which had excellent SNMP support in full
> standards compliance AFAICT).
>
> >On Junos, I got sick of all this and switched to netconf.
>
> +1 (though Junoscript, in my case)
>
> ssh admin at switch 'show ethernet-switching table | display xml'
>
> ...is always the poor-mans version ;o)
>
> SNMP was an impressive effort for its time, and it could have been
> great, but it's getting less and less usable as vendors pay less and
> less attention to it. I've seen a number of devices from a number of
> vendors get *worse* SNMP support over the last couple of years /
> software releases.
>
> In addition for something like the P/Q bridge FDB, the requirement
> for the table to be sorted by OID can often be a substantial CPU
> impact, as naive implementations sort the table on every getnext.

For those of us who wish to/need to use commercial NMS software, are
there any that support NETCONF?  And NETCONF isn't the answer yet
anyway to cross-vendor standardization, at least not until standard
YANG models are developed.  At least Q-BRIDGE-MIB exists as a
standard.

Here are some commercial NMS products that we've looked at that we
would like to get working with our Juniper gear:

AKIPS MAC/IP/Switch reports
Statseeker's MAC/IP/Switch Port Table report
PatchManager SwitchBridge (Switch Port/VLAN documentation function)
Efficient IP's NetChange-IPL SNMP network monitor for switch port/VLAN/MAC tracking
InfoBlox NetMRI (SNMP network monitor)
BlueCat Network Discovery/Reconciliation (SNMP network monitor)