[j-nsp] SNMP NMS support of Junos VLAN MIBs

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 07:40:05 EST 2015

On 11/12/15 17:16, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> For those of us who wish to/need to use commercial NMS software, are
> there any that support NETCONF?  And NETCONF isn't the answer yet
> anyway to cross-vendor standardization, at least not until standard
> YANG models are developed.  At least Q-BRIDGE-MIB exists as a
> standard.

On the commercial NMSes, no idea. I would hope that commercial products
would provide a way to integrate external datasources, but maybe not.

I take your point about Netconf versus SNMP, and I don't disagree with
you that Juniper should really fix this - "it's been broken for ages" is
a pretty poor excuse, they could always provide a config knob to toggle
on the new behaviour.

But I just don't see them fixing it.

Re: YANG - at this point I'd take reliable, comprehensive APIs with
*any* reasonably sane, documented data models, standard or otherwise.
We're a long way from being able to rely on standard data models IMO,
which is unfortunate but a reality.