[j-nsp] SRX RVI MPLS facing

Dan Rimal dan at danrimal.net
Sun Dec 27 14:19:54 EST 2015

Hi,

I am trying to use SRX240B as a VLAN capable switch and also VPLS
endpoint. VPLS works "well" for me with standard routed port, but when i
tried to use uplink port as a "switch port" and use RVI (routed vlan
interface) to connect to MPLS core, VPLS stop working: OSPF, BGP and
RSVP works well, VPLS instances also goes UP, but VPLS instances cannot
learn remote MAC adressess.

Remote VPLS instance (MX series) learn MAC from SRX side, but VPLS on
SRX with RVI cannot learn mac from MX side. L2 looks like works well,
for example, VRRP (on lt interface) was established (because SRX master
use VRRP well known dst MAC).

It is Junos 12.1X46-D35

My working uplink config:

interfaces {
    ge-0/0/1 {
        vlan-tagging;
        mtu 1590;
        unit 500 {
            vlan-id 500;
            family inet {
                mtu 1500;
                address 31.31.176.193/30;
            }
            family mpls;
        }
    }
}

And not working RVI configuration:

interfaces {
    ge-0/0/1 {
        mtu 1590;
        unit 0 {
            family ethernet-switching {
                port-mode trunk;
                vlan {
                    members [ 500 520 ];
                }
            }
        }
    }
    vlan {
        mtu 1590;
        unit 500 {
            family inet {
                mtu 1500;
                address 31.31.176.193/30;
            }
            family mpls;
        }
    }
}
vlans {
    vl500 {
        vlan-id 500;
        l3-interface vlan.500;
    }
    vl520 {
        vlan-id 520;
    }
}

It looks like a junos bug for me (or maybe SRX L2 limitation). Has
anyone run into the same problem?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel