[j-nsp] Is the M7i still an option for an ASBR ?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Mon Dec 28 20:30:26 EST 2015

M7i and related platforms have an announced EOL - there's roughly 4yrs left
before they start ending support.

MSM requires CFEB-E. CFEB-E has a much faster onboard CPU, way more route
lookup memory. The CEB likely won't even hold a full IPv4 table anymore.
CFEB-E gets HQoS amongst other things with QoS and policers.

The M7i platform is extremely limited WRT jflow (called something else now
marketing wank speaky) without the ASM or MSM.  Even with the ASM - ISTR
the ASM basically doing either flow or other stuff (NAT/stateful firewall)
but not both and didn't work very well even 6 yrs ago due to insufficient
RAM.

On Monday, December 28, 2015, Jérôme Nicolle <jerome at ceriz.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have to upgrade and expand a network currently routed by 2
> M7i-RE400-CFEB. It has two transit providers and filters out at /20
> because the RE-400 can't process a modern full-view.
>
> I've been told the RE-850 (RAM fully loaded) would be able to handle it.
> I found a few deals here and there, and some sellers also offer CFEB-E
> upgrades.
>
> I can't find any feedback on the practical differences between CFEB and
> CFEB-E.
>
> Here are my current questions :
> - Is a RE-850 really capable of handling 2 full views plus some peering
> sessions ?
> - What would I gain by upgrading CFEB to CFEB-E ? Is it required to
> handle 600k+ routes ?
>
> In addition, I'd like to use cflowd to monitor and balance this AS'
> traffic. I've read this features requires either the MSE-100 PIC or the
> multiservice module attached to the CFEB-E.
>
> - Doesn't the MSE-100 PIC requires the CFEB-E, as the multiservice
> module does ?
> - Is it realistic to handle 2 full views plus iBGP and a few peers WITH
> cflowd on a RE-850 ?
>

> Thanks !
>
> --
> Jérôme Nicolle