[j-nsp] EX4300/EX4600 experiences

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Feb 17 10:17:40 EST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:24:22AM -0500, Jordan Whited wrote:
> Looking for experiences with EX4300 & EX4600 as layer 2 ToR. No routing, just vlans and MSTP.
>
> Can these be looked at as a 4200/4500 with a larger bridge table? Anything to look out for?

E4300/4600 are a different chipset than EX4200/4500.  The
configuration is different as well, since it uses ELS "Enhanced Layer
2 Software" which basically means it uses a syntax that is a mix of
EX-style and MX-style, and the "show" outputs are different.

These newer boxes are similar to QFX5100, so my posting from before is
relevent, specifically the gotchas with MSTP:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2015-January/029864.html

Other than that xSTP issue (which is easy to work around once you know
about it), I've had no issues with the QFX5100 as a Layer 2 switch.