[j-nsp] MX104 Limitations

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jul 9 10:39:23 EDT 2015

On 9/Jul/15 16:34, Adam Vitkovsky wrote:

> Still haven't seen the preso on 9904 internals but I'm not quite convinced. Do I read it right it's just basically 9006-2 with some RU savings?

The ASR99xx are simply the same architecture as the ASR9000's, but the
difference is the fabric is faster.

So there is a fixed limit to how much traffic the earlier generation can
handle, while the new chassis have more capacity to stick around longer
in time, as line cards get faster. Think of the ASR99xx as ASR9000-E's,
if you may :-).

If it were me, I'd be ASR99xx moving forward. I'd only consider
ASR9000's if I have restrictive power budgets, or think I'll never need
to go beyond what they can do today traffic-wise.

> But MX104 can't hold the full internet routing table in forwarding-table so it's good only for peering or can it indeed?

Can't it? I've assumed it can. Haven't actually deployed one yet.

> I think MX104 can be a nice small town PE to aggregate the town ring so no competition to MX480/960

I'll take the ASR920 for that, Thank You Very Much :-).

Mark.