[j-nsp] Junos power-off not graceful

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jul 29 05:53:52 EDT 2015

On 29/Jul/15 11:48, james list wrote:
> Gents,
>
> good day.
>

> A customer of mine has in production MX480, SRX3600 (cluster via WAN L2
> among the two DC), EX8200 in all of the two DC and is asking me a
> confirmation that it is currently possible to simulate a Disaster Recovery
> issue just powering-off the devices without correct halting.
>

> I’m trying to force them to run a correct halting but it seems they have a
> very strict time (few minutes) to deactivate the Datacenter during the DR
> procedure and are pressing me to validate.
>

> I’m looking for:
>
> 1)      Official juniper documentation about the issue that occurs if a not
> graceful halting is given
>
> 2)      Experience in this kind of issues on the family MX, SRX in cluster
> and EX8k
>
> 3)      Any recommendation/help to force my customer…

We once experienced a complete power outage to some MX480 devices that
caused MPC failure. Those had to be replaced.

Other items at risk could be hard drives inside the RE.

It's hard to say - in some cases, you may be lucky, you may not be.
Hence the "graceful" to increase your chances of a good outcome.

Mark.