[j-nsp] Juniper vMX limitations

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 08:01:31 EDT 2015

The Junos vRR, which has been out for some time and I think is up to 14.2R3, isn’t the “vMX.” It’s a virtualized Junos where the forwarding plane is there but not built for performnance.  The vRR image works well for doing lab control plane testing.

The “vMX” uses two VMs with a vPFE running in a separate VM from the control-plane. It can use SR-IOV/DPDK with Intel NICs to get to the 80Gbps number and also does CPU core pinning to improve performance.  The base license does 32K routes in the FIB.  There is an advanced license which will support 2+M FIB entries from what I remember, premium license adds L3VPN.  There are also licenses based on throughput.

The official vMX is available now, as of July 14th I believe it’s available for download, and the initial version is 14.1R5

https://www.juniper.net/support/downloads/?p=vmx#docs

I’m sure they’ve had it running in VMWare, but it’s a little more difficult and you need the Enterprise Plus version of vSphere to get virtual serial ports. I’d be more comfortable running it under KVM myself.

Phil