[j-nsp] M7i stuck in PXE boot loop

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Wed Jun 17 11:25:19 EDT 2015

Hi everyone. I powered off an M7i yesterday to relocate it to a new
rack, and after powering back on it seems to have forgotten it has a
CF and HDD or even a PCMCIA slot, and is only attempting to boot from
ethernet.

e.g.

Will try to boot from :
Ethernet
Boot Sequence is reseted due to a PowerUp

Trying to Boot from Ethernet

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 078)
Copyright (C) 1997,1998,1999  Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Trying to Boot from Ethernet

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 078)
Copyright (C) 1997,1998,1999  Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Trying to Boot from Ethernet

and so on.

Tried a reseat of the RE, reseated the CF, reset, power on/off the
whole chassis. Nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone come across this before and knows how to fix it, other than
replacing the RE?

I had a similar issue with it once before, but at that stage it
actually booted to a version-ish of JunOS where I was able to
re-configure the bootlist to include the HDD and CF, this time its not
even getting that far. :-(

Cheers
Tom