[j-nsp] Conditionally Generating Default Routes

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sat May 9 14:46:07 EDT 2015

> Saku Ytti
> Sent: 08 May 2015 21:41
>
> On (2015-05-08 11:39 -0700), Bill Blackford wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> > Is there a BCP in this scenario? A stable (non changing) CIDR block? Does
> > Team CYMRU offer this? Is there a better solution to achieve the same
> > objective?
>
> I'm not entirely sure what is the scenario. Is the scenario one where you
> have
> PE and CE, where PE may become isolated and if such, it should not inject
> default to CE?
> If this is the scenario, then you might want to consider one of these two
>
> a) generate your aggregate networks in core, ask customer to static default
> route to specific network. Once your PE becomes isolated, the prefix is gone,
> and CE's static route won't anymore route to you.
>
> b) generate static route in core boxes, via lets say discard route.
>
> --
>   ++ytti

c) advertise special-purpose loopback IPs from all BDRs.
and instruct PEs to advertise default route to CEs only if they have reachability to at least one of the BDRs (loopback IPs).
BDRs advertise full inet table to PEs (but I guess it would also work with just default routes being advertised from BDRs to PEs).

adam