[j-nsp] Counter on subinterface on EX

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon May 11 05:49:05 EDT 2015

On 11/May/15 11:38, Raphael Mazelier wrote:

> That was the plan yes. If I had correclty evaluate/made more test, I
> have done this differently, and just use EX for what they are made
> (switching).

I know this does not help you now, but in general, switches are very bad
at being routers. The closest they came was the Cisco 6500 (I say
closest because unless you had the high end ES+ line cards from Cisco,
you came up against several limitations with the regular so-called "LAN"
cards on that platform). The SUP-2T and its host of line cards promised
good things, but I've never tested those.

We worked very closely with Cisco when they were building the
ME3600X/3800X switches back in 2009. The platform is called "a switch",
but really, it is a router, and does routing as well as a Cisco router
does. This is not a regular thing, and I dare see is an advantage Cisco
have enjoyed. Brocade's NetIron switches are decent routers the last
time I tested.

Juniper have never really had a proper router that comes in a switch
form-factor. We are evaluating the ACX5000 platform for this, and it
looks very promising; but its use of off-the-shelf silicon is getting in
the way. The EX (certainly the 1U switches) are terrible routers; I
can't speak to the capability of the big EX chassis', never tested them.

Mark.