[j-nsp] Ingress QoS Marking Now Fully Supported on MX Routers - Junos 14.2R3.8 Release

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat May 16 17:02:14 EDT 2015

Hi all.

Gosh, what a road this has been!

Some of you may recall I started moaning and chasing Juniper about this
way back in 2008. Well, finally, we have reached the promised land.

Junos 14.2R3.8 for the MX was released last night. Prior to its release,
we have been testing an engineering version of 14.2R1, where Juniper
developed support for ingress marking/re-marking of QoS values on
traffic entering an MX router.

As you know, Juniper have traditionally done marking/re-marking on
egress, which did not provide sufficient granularity for us, and I am
sure several others on this list. With 14.2R3.8, Juniper now support
ingress marking/re-marking of QoS values, negating the need for egress
marking if what you're looking for is fine-grained marking/re-marking.

Juniper are calling the feature Policy Map. I can get into more details
of how this would work if anyone is interested, but below are some key
features you might find useful:

    a) Policy Map is currently supported only on the MX routers.
    b) Requires a minimum of Trio-based line cards.
    c) First shipping in Junos 14.2R3.8.
    d) Supported for IPP, DSCP, MPLS EXP, 802.1p and 802.1ad.
    e) Supported for the inet, inet6, ccc, vpls, mpls and any address
families.
    f) Application can be either via the [class-of-service] hierarchy or
via a firewall filter.
    g) Supersedes traditional Junos CoS Rewrite actions.

You can find some basic details on the feature here:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos14.2/information-products/topic-collections/release-notes/14.2/topic-83366.html#jd0e3370

It's been a long time coming.

I'm very pleased to see this feature, and hope the rest of you find it
as useful as we do.

Mark.