[j-nsp] Junos BGP update generation inefficiency -cause for concern?

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Mon May 18 07:00:05 EDT 2015

Hey buddy,

> Saku Ytti
> Sent: 18 May 2015 11:12
>
> On (2015-05-18 10:04 +0000), Adam Vitkovsky wrote:
>
> Hey Adam,
>
> > I'd like to ask if the "90's" way of BGP generating updates per peer-group is
> a cause for concern on a modern gear.
> > And if not then anyways am I the only one missing some flexibility in BGP
> peers configuration in Junos?
> > It's really annoying that every time one needs to adjust something for a
> peer, might even be something session related, a new peer-group has to be
> carved up.
>
> Is there some efficient 2010's way you're thinking about?
>
> Spamming same TCP datagram to multiple hosts has great efficiency
> benefits,
> but to be able to capitalize this, you need to group neighbours who are to
> receive same set of routes, or TCP messages.

Yes I'm thinking about "BGP Dynamic Update Peer-Groups"
- the improved BGP update message generation where the update-group memberships is calculated automatically/dynamically by the system based on common egress policies assigned to peers.
And of course the configuration using templates (i.e. session templates and policy templates) and inheritance.
I've been relying on the above since ever in Cisco world and I miss that much in Junos.

> Making 1 peer == 1 update-group would be easy, but it would make already
> hella
> slow rpd lot worse.

You see this is what I mean, the RPD is slow so why not use the above to speed things up.

> It is best to optimize advertised routes to as few sets as possible, to gain
> best benefits. I would recommend not setting export filters on per-
> neighbour
> basis, only on group-level.
> (i.e. not micro-optimize neighbours to receive exactly what is needed, if
> extra routes are not actively harmful)
>
> --
>   ++ytti

That is an interesting approach indeed though it's a sacrifice we are forced into because the update generation is not optimal in Junos.

adam