[j-nsp] Junos BGP update generation inefficiency -cause for concern?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon May 18 07:49:33 EDT 2015

On 18 May 2015 at 14:00, Adam Vitkovsky <Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk> wrote:

Hey Adam,

> Yes I'm thinking about "BGP Dynamic Update Peer-Groups"
> - the improved BGP update message generation where the update-group
> memberships is calculated automatically/dynamically by the system based on
> common egress policies assigned to peers.
> And of course the configuration using templates (i.e. session templates and
> policy templates) and inheritance.
> I've been relying on the above since ever in Cisco world and I miss that
> much in Junos.

The update-groups are created dynamically in JunOS as far as I know.
That is if you have BGP group where neighbors have unique export
policies, you will have multiple update-groups in configuration group.
But I guess if you have two neighbors with same export policies in
different configuration group, it likely won't share same
update-group, haven't tested though.

I'm personally not too excited about templates in IOS, as I tend to
have only like 3-5 peer-groups in IOS, and if I translate the config
to template based, the amount of lines in my config increases. I think
the break-even would require rather large amount of groups.

--
  ++ytti