[j-nsp] DHCP SERVER in m7i

Chad Myers Chad.Myers at theice.com
Wed Nov 11 00:47:42 EST 2015

I just dug through the dhcp server tracelog and old install logs.  It looks like I ran into that in 12.1R3 so it may not be a problem on 11.4.  When running with traceoptions, this is what I found in the log that pointed out the problem:
Aug  9 17:32:21 [NOTE]  jdhcpd_packet_handle: RECEIVE DISCOVER: stats_safd 0x0 , safd 0x88fe000 ge-0/3/1.999
Aug  9 17:32:21 [NOTE] [ge-0/3/1.999] jdhcpd_packet_handle: ------ Switchover recovery not completed-----: dropping DISCOVER on ifindex 72

After it was fixed these appeared instead after the config was (re)loaded:
Aug 29 20:52:06.944830 Graceful Switchover not configured
Aug 29 20:52:06.944958 Maintain-subscriber not configured
Aug 29 20:52:06.948862 Config read ended in status 1
Aug 29 20:52:06.949652 === Reloading configuration DONE[1673] ===

As for the dhcp config itself, you don't need family iso for it.  The config looks ok, although it's missing some key entries like the gateway address.  Here's what's on my device snippets from my device:
# the dhcp server itself.  The pool-match-order was to explicitly deal with running the server on multiple interfaces / subnets.
set system services dhcp-local-server pool-match-order ip-address-first
set system services dhcp-local-server group Lab-254 interface ge-0/3/1.254

# the dhcp pool; note the "range" option you were looking for
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet network 192.168.254.0/24
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet range 210-239 low 192.168.254.210
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet range 210-239 high 192.168.254.239
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet dhcp-attributes maximum-lease-time 28800
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet dhcp-attributes grace-period 3600
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet dhcp-attributes name-server 8.8.8.8
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet dhcp-attributes name-server 4.2.2.1
set access address-assignment pool lab-254 family inet dhcp-attributes router 192.168.254.1

-Chad